At the risk of ‘shooting ourselves in the foot’, we feel we should pass on news of an exciting opportunity for those who write Shakespeare fiction. Our good friend Lou Faulkner has drawn our attention to a competition for new plays which ‘vibe off’ the Bard’s oeuvre, and which this article thinks (and we agree) could access some previously untapped talent in the fanfiction genre. The mention of “massive works queering the reign of Henry the Fifth” caused a certain amount of nonchalant whistling and staring into space, both here at Megaheadquarters and elsewhere in the Manifold Press diaspora…
Our World War 2 anthology CALL TO ARMS is well underway, on course for the planned release date of 1 November 2017 – but we couldn’t resist acknowledging The Birthday by announcing the anthology scheduled next:
Modern LGBTQIA fiction inspired by the works of William Shakespeare
The world’s mine oyster
Which I with sword will open.
The Merry Wives of Windsor, Act 2 Scene 2
For our next anthology project, Manifold Press is looking for short fiction inspired by the vast and varied output of William Shakespeare – the plays, the sonnets, and even the ‘lost’ or disputed works – featuring LGBTQIA people as the main characters.
Want to tell us about the love lives of Hamlet and Horatio, Viola and Olivia, Antonio and Sebastian, Achilles and Patroclus? We want to read it! How about Kent’s devotion to Lear, Iago’s to Othello, Mercutio’s to Romeo, Nerissa’s to Portia? Turn the stories inside-out and show us how they could (or should) have ended! Gender-bend any character(s) you choose, mix them up in combinations of two or more, let your imagination run amuck!
And what about the unknown actors who’ve played these roles over the years, the directors who’ve supported them, the scholars and students who’ve given their lives to the study of Shakespeare? We’d love to see something of them, too, whether they’re academics or Hollywood stars, am-dram enthusiasts or soldiers reading sonnets in their dugouts. Set your story in Verona, Elsinore, Glasgow, New York, or even in the depths of space, and we’ll be with you all the way – in short, to coin a phrase, if music be the food of love, play on!
- Editor: Fiona Pickles
- All stories need to stand alone, whether or not they relate to any existing work.
- Sexual encounters are welcome, and can be explicit, but we love a focus on character and story.
- Story length: Between 3,000 and 10,000 words.
- Authors will be paid a flat fee based on the final word count of their contribution.
- Submission deadline: 31 October 2017
- Planned publication date: 1 May 2018
- Enquiries and submissions to: email@example.com
- Click here for a PDF version of this page.
- Unlike some of our previous anthologies, this is not a charity project.
- Characters should be adults, and for our purposes Shakespeare wrote Shakespeare!